Skip to main content

Chasing Master Craftsman Status

As you know, I am a member of the Embroiderer's Guild of America.  One of the opportunities afforded to members is the pursuit of Master Craftsman certification in a number of techniques - beading, canvas, color, counted thread, crewel, design, quilting, silk/metal threads, smocking and surface. 

A couple of years ago I began working on the Master Craftsman in Counted Thread Embroidery.  There are several steps - the first being the creation of a family history sampler in counted cross stitch.  Here is my successful piece:



The assignment for step two is to create an Assisi embroidery piece.  Assisi embroidery has a void design so that the subject of the piece is done in double running stitch and then the background is filled in solidly, in this instance with cross stitches.  Also, there is typically a decorative border done in double running stitches.

I have had more than one idea and nothing has worked out so far.  However, I think my latest idea is going to be it.

We have several Turk's Hat plants in front of our home.  They are very striking this time of year.  They attract lots of bees, and we see an occasional hummingbird.  If there were more hummingbirds in our area, I think we would see a lot of hummingbirds.  How could you resist these gorgeous, red blooms?!?


This is my start on a chart for my Assisi piece.  I will draw it out by hand and when satisfied with the drawing, I will start transferring the chart to a computer app.  The computer app gives me a lot more flexibility in editing, copying and flipping parts of the design if I decide to make changes.



I will post my progress here soon!

Comments

  1. That will be gorgeous! Such an ambitious goal, but I’m confident that you’ll get there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning Again

I've been thinking about creating a blog for a while now.  Blogger says I've been here since 2012.  I never posted anything with that one - it didn't even have a name.  So, last year I deleted it.  After coming up with what I think is a good name for my blog, I am beginning again. "Counting on Needlework" has more than one meaning for me.  Foremost, it pertains to my primary hobby of counted thread embroidery.  Often, when you tell the common person that you do counted thread embroidery, they look a little puzzled.  This area of embroidery includes counted cross stitch, blackwork, Assisi, pulled thread, drawn thread and maybe others.   My secondary fiber hobby is knitting and any knitter knows there is a fair amount of counting and math to this hobby.   Another aspect of the title is the pleasure I derive from my hobbies.  I really do count on them:  for stress relief from my day job as a legal assistant, for that se...

Hitchhiker Scarf

As I mentioned in my initial post, I also knit.  Let me present my Hitchhiker scarf. Pattern:  Hitchhiker by Martina Behm (purchased through Ravelry) Yarn:  A Tree Hugger's Wife Yarns Mega Sock in the Drive In colorway (purchased at Seaside Yarns in Juneau, Alaska in 2014 when on a cruise) While I cannot be called a fan of Douglas Adams's book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I am a fan of long tapering scarves and this one is just that.  I like the way they swirl around the neck and shoulders.  My scarf has the obligatory 42 points on it.  Fans will know that this number figures big in the book ("...the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything"). I'm looking forward to wearing this one when our weather cools off a bit.